Sunday, 15 July 2012

Debug OpenERP+python code in eclipse

Follow the given steps to debug your OpenERP+python code in eclipse:

1: Stop your openERP running server by pressing "ctr+c".

2: In eclipse go to Menu "Run/Debug Configurations". In configuration window under "Python Run", create new debug configuration(Double click on 'Python Run').

3: After creating new debug configuration follow the given steps: 

    3.1: In "Main" tab under "Project", select the "server" project or folder (in which Openerp Server resides) from your  workspace. 

    3.2: Write location of 'openerp-server' under "Main Module".
 Ex: ${workspace_loc:server/openerp-server}.

    3.3: In "Arguments" tab under "Program Arguments", click on button "Variables" and new window will appear. 
  
    3.4: Then create new "Variable" by clicking on "Edit Variables" button and new window will appear.
  
    3.5: Press on "New" button and give your addons path as value. Ex: --addons ../addons,../your_module_path
    
    3.6: Press Ok in all the opened windows and then "Apply".

4: Now into "PyDev Package Explorer" view go to 6.1/server and right click on "openerp-server" file, Select 'Debug As --> Python Run'.

5: Now in "Console" you can see your server has been started.

6: Now open your .py file which you want to debug and set a breakpoint.

7: Now start your module's form from 'gtk' or 'web-client' and execution will stop when execution will reach to breakpoint.
8: Now debug your code by pressing "F5, F6, F7" and you can see value of your variables.


See Video:



10 comments:

  1. Need to debug_mode = False in conf file also before these steps.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this steps work on openerp 7.0?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. It works with any version of OpenERP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, well I guess my problem is how to setup workspace. step 3.1 and 3.2 is where I'm lost

      step 3 says In "Main" tab under "Project", select the "server" project or folder (in which Openerp Server resides) from your workspace.

      However, when I try browse to the folder where my server is. I can't get there. my server is on /opt/openerp/openerp7

      If I can select the server project. I will be set and done.
      the question is how do I set the server project in the first place?
      thank you in advance

      Delete
    2. I am stuck here as well :/

      Delete
    3. It can use Openerp on windows sersion ?

      Delete
  4. Ooh, I found out where I was getting it wrong. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alec, can you describe shortly how did you create project with openerp code and openerp-server?

      Thank you.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, describe it please...

      Delete
    3. I am stuck here as well :/

      Delete